And scarves are practical- they keep you toasty warm.
One thing about scarves though- they can look amazing, or they can look frumpy. It depends on the scarf, your body type, and the way you wear it.
Since we are nestled in the middle of winter’s coldest months, I researched scarves and body types. Here are six ways women in leadership can stay classy, and fashionable with scarves at work:
1. Belted – this is a new, classy yet fun, way to wear a scarf to work. This style works best if you are tall, or your top and bottom are evenly proportioned. You can wear a light scarf indoors over your dress, or a heavier scarf outdoors, over your coat like Wendy did here.
2. The Classic Knot – looks great with a cashmere sweater or collared shirt. The classic knot is a good choice for petites and if you have “girls”. It is reminiscent of the hit TV Show “Mad Men”, and for this reason, an updated look. Remember you can turn the knot to the side too.
I love how this scarf makes Anne’s look pop. She was born and raised in France by the way.
3. The Pretzel – is easy and clean. It works on most body types because you can adjust the neck line. For example, if you have a short neck create a larger opening to show more of your neck. If you have big busted, or you are petite, then use a lighter weight smaller scarf.
Try the pretzel with a printed or striped scarf. It looks amazing.
Note: Absolutely love the brooch, and the grey and purple together. The scarf looks a wee bit old, doesn’t it? That’s because it is old according to Sidney in her original post on her blog Basic Cravings . This is a good time to mention to you, that if your scarf, or anything in your closet, is looking worn, please consider replacing it. It is important, as a woman in leadership, to look fresh and updated. It portrays your ability to notice details, trends in general, and remain competitive in your field. Thank you Sidney for the awesome scarf tying idea!
4. The Fake Infinity – You can wear it so many ways. In fact, it is one of the quickest, easiest ways to wear a scarf and look updated. This style works best for average or tall body types.
1:36 second how to video. You will know how to tie the scarf within 41 seconds – the rest show you different ways to wear it.
5. The Simple Loop- is an easy, chic way to wear your square scarf. You can use a silk scarf, like the one shown above, or you can use a wool scarf as shown in the previous picture. The bulkier scarf, lends a more casual look- perfect for casual Friday. The simple loop works best for average or tall body types.
You can also try the Parisienne square scarf tie.
6. The Boa or Doughnut – a great option if you are big busted, or you are wearing a turtleneck. The boa looks amazing with a turtleneck, as shown in the second picture here.
How about you? How do you wear your scarf to work?