A client recently asked me to write about which fall boots go with what. There are so many types of boots and boot heights that the choices seem nearly infinite. This can be confusing when you are investing in boots for the season, or when you are standing in your closet trying to “create” yourself for work in the morning.
Here are five fall boots and how to wear them for work:
1. Peep Toe Booties– wear with ankle pants, dresses, and all skirts, but shorter ones – (knee or above) look best. This ankle- bone height is perfect for petites, short legs, and heavier women because it doesn’t cut you off at your ankles.
2. Booties – Booties are a good alternative to peep-toe booties if your industry is more conservative. Wear with ankle pants, dresses, and all skirts – but shorter ones (knee or above) look best.
3. Knee High Boots – Work for every type of dress or skirt and all body types. You can’t go wrong. The only limitation might be if you have wide calves, in which case look for an extended calf version- try Aquatalia brand. If you already own obligatory black, why not try a lighter color to add interest. Both camel and grey are popular this fall. The coat is fabulous by the way!
This is a good time for me to mention that having a great coat in a flattering fit and color for fall is the easiest way to look pulled together …every entrance and exit you make will be amazing!
4. Mid Calf Booties –Mid calf booties look great with longer skirts, such as midi skirts. They work well for people with thin legs or tall frames because they break up the line of your leg, making them appear more shapely and shorter. They also work well with culottes and ankle pants (shown above).
5. Riding Boots- A sophisticated pair can be a great go-to for a casual work look. If you pair them with spring dresses, riding boots will keep you warm through the rest of early fall. Black and brown are a wardrobe staple. Grey and camel are two other good choices.
Parting Tip- According to DC style expert Naina Singla, gold details are on trend for the season. So if you see a pair of booties you like with gold trimmings- grab them!
How about you. Would you wear booties to work?